Two weeks ago I bought the router Asus RT-AC68U. It is a nice router and the hardware is realy great. During two days I tried to have a good Wireless transmission but without any success. And that even if I have an USB Wireless key that is working in AC norm. As a good self-respecting geek and because I like the chalenge I decided to install the Tomato USB firmware which is based on GNU/Linux.
What will you need?
- A computer running on MS Windows (Thank you Boot Camp)
- The Asus RT-AC68U Utility installed
- Router already flashed with the last RT-AC68U firmware from Asus
- Tomato USB firmware from Shibby
- Take the last version, 121 during writting this article
- For myself it was the version: tomato-RT-AC68U-ARM--121-AIO-64K.trx
- To have bravery enough
Before to start
Please consider that there are risks to brick your router by flashing your router with an unofficial firmware. I will not take the responsability of what you do by following this page. Just know that I have personaly flashed my AC68U with the same process without any problems.
If you have any problems during the process as your router will not boot any more, try the Asus recovery procedure with the Asus firmware.
Now let's go ahead!
- Disable Firewall and Anti-Virus on your Windows computer
- Connect your router with one of the LAN port
- Fix a static IP as 192.168.1.10 with the Submask 255.255.255.0 to your computer
- Disconnect the router from the WAN port
- Run the Firmware Restoration tool from the Asus RT-AC68U Utility
- Click the Browse button and open the Shibby firmware
- Do not upload yet
- Put the router in the recovery mode:
- Unplug the router from the power source
- Hold the Reset button at the rear panel and simultaneously replug the router into the power source. Release the Reset button when the Power LED at the front panel flashes slowly, which indicates that the router is in the rescue mode and ready to accept the new firmware
- Click the button Upload in the Firmware Restoration tool
- Wait until the firmware is being uploaded without touching anything
- The process takes about four to five minutes
- When is finish the Firmware Restoration tool says that the upload is completed
- Open a browser and go to this URL: http://192.168.1.1
- Login in Tomato USB with user root and password admin
- Erase the NVRAM from the menu Administration - Configuration
- In the section Restore Default Configuration" choose "Erase all data in NVRAM memory
- When is finish do an hardware reset as well
- Shutdown the router
- Hold the WPS button and turn on the router
- Hold the WPS button until the Power LED at the front panel flashes
- Reboot the router
- Put back your computer LAN setting to use the dynamic IP
That's it! From this time you are able to use the great Tomato USB firmware on your Asus RT-AC68U router.
I will create a new article to how configure Tomato USB for this router a next time.
Enjoy your time with your new Firmware!
With the build 121 there is still problems with some features.
- Bandwidth and IP Traffic monitoring
- The logging is not working but the real-time works
- VPN server with the protocol PPTP
- Using the option Broadcast Relay Mode overload the CPU
This is my own observation there is probably other problems.